From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1993 09:38:19 -0500
About a rec.pets.ferrets newsgroup:

PLEASE keep in mind that of those 338 subscribers, a pretty fair number of
them do NOT have access to Usenet!!  There are subscribers from
CompuServe, GEnie, FIDOnet and America On Line, none of which have access
to Usenet, to my knowledge.  A rec.pets.ferrets newsgroup would not be a
replacement for these folks -- it would mean LOSING access.

I, for one, have no interest in rec.pets.ferrets, as I have no time for
Usenet anymore, even though I have access.

At any rate, to gauge interest in a rec.pets.ferrets group involves an
awful lot more than just posting a message to rec.pets -- there is a
formal procedure that must be followed, including writing a proposed
charter, posting to the moderated newsgroup where such things are
announced (I forget the name at the moment), followed by a discussion
period IN NEWS.GROUPS, NOT in rec.pets or anywhere else, followed by a
formal call for votes, and a prescribed voting period.  It's more than
just getting a simple majority -- you have to have a 2/3 majority, plus
100 more yes votes than no votes.  There's probably more to it than that,
but I'm rusty on the procedure.  Someone has to take the votes, send
acknowledgements, post periodic updates -- it's a LOT of work.

Personally, I like the FML -- it's much more personal and much friendlier
than ANY newsgroup I've ever read.

Katie Fritz
Small Mammals Section Leader/CompuServe Pets Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]  CIS: 71257,3153