From:
Todd Cromwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 1995 09:16:14 -0700
3 months ago I talked with Joe Boteilho and Pat Sproule of Clark County
Animal Control in Las Vegas.

I think we should talk to them and try to enlist their aid or see if
they are involved.

At that time Animal Control (or the county) was discussing a dangerous
animal ordinance which addresses, *after the fact*, individual animals
(not species as a whole) who have, through individual incidents, caused
substantial harm to individuals, perhaps even more than once.  Like, "Mr.
Weiner's dog has caused a problem biting many people, what do we do?".

Significantly, Joe also told me that his office does not believe in
deeming species to be more or less fit for specific uses (such as pets);
rather, they are dealing with individual animals and/or their owners that
are *causing* a problem, (actually, not potentially) and are returning
lost animals to their owners.  Their office seemed ferret-friendly, and
(casually) mentioned they get the odd ferrets (and ferret cases?) in, but
they don't have any big problems with ferrets.

Joe also says there is apparently a Nevada Administrative Code state law
on Communicable Diseases, chapter 441A, which says something about
vaccinations, ordinances for rabies control, and licensing.  This law
talks specifically about dogs, cats, and *ferrets*.  Apparently the
Nevada State Law is to vaccinate all of these animals for rabies (Joe
knew IMRAB-3 was available for ferrets).

Joe's number at Clark County Animal Control is (702) 455-7710, and Joe
has said before to call if you have questions.

When I talked to him and Pat before, they seemed reasonable,
non-confrontational, and nice.  If they are still this way, maybe
they will work with us and help.

 -----------------------------
My questions, now:

1) (IMPORTANT) Is his office aware of or involved in the Board of
Comissioners' bill?  Is what is reported about the bill being
considered in *correct*?

1.5) Can Joe or Pat help us find more names of people to talk to about
this?

2) Find out if Joe still feels the same way about his office's mission.

3) What are the license fees for dogs and cats?  If different and/or
much lower than the proposed for ferrets, on what basis?  If
viciousness or danger to wildlife, we want to see the evidence and
make it part of the debate and record.  Also, will the people who
think ferrets are more dangerous than dogs and cats (if that is the
basis) be willing to go on official record saying that in writing?

4) On what basis are they charging $100 per year animal?  That is
*rather* steep.  Is this reflecting any real cost, or is it a method
to restrict pet ownership?  If to restrict and if his office is
involved how does that jive with the mission of his office as he told
it to me earlier?

5) Surprise inspections as a matter of goverment policy seem
unconstitutional to me (search warrant law?), and challengeable on
that basis.  What gives the people in favor of the bill and the govt
offices involved special power to ignore the constitution when no one
else (supposedly) can?  Also, "any other inspection deemed necessary
to Animal Control" would be opening the door to all sorts of things
(too general).

6) What are the guidelines for surprise inspections?  What will be deemed
a successful visit?  What will happen if there is an unsuccessful visit?

7) Is this to help with rabies vacc. enforcement?  Might be better
ways to do rabies vacc. enforcement.  Is rabies vacc enforcement high
on the list?  Does the epidemiology of rabies in the area warrant the
Nevada state law (if there really is one)?

8) Why won't they let the public (and pet stores, etc) know of these
types of meetings with more than 3 days of advance notice (the short
notice was true in the meeting three months ago, too)?

Todd Cromwell
Dors and Seldon