From:
WENDY HOCHMAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:17:59 -0700
First of all I want to make this post perfectly clear:
THIS IS NOT A SLAM ON ANYONE, THIS IS JUST A COMMENT MADE FROM PAST
OBSERVATIONS!

I have worked with county animal controls as well as privately owned
shelters for several years and have seen more cases of abuse and neglect
than I care to count.  More than once I have seen a ferret enter into the
local shelter that was nothing but skin and bones.  The shortest time I
have seen one of these ferret live after being turned over to the shelter
was five minuets.  I was not present when sweet little princess was
turned over after her family reported that she had not eaten or voided
for over two weeks, but I saw her when the shelter returned home.  When
I asked them if they were going to file charges on the people for neglect
I was told no because of lack of funds.  I also had a bad account with a
clueless vet who claimed he worked on ferrets but turned out it was just
a two hour lecture.  Not only did he gouge me but when putting one of my
ferrets to sleep he didn't even come back to check to see if the
injection had worked, he just sent the tec in with a box (which was to
small).  I researched the procedures to bring the vet up on charges of
neglect but I needed statements form the shelter folks that had taken
my ferret to this vet and witnessed first hand his carelessness.  The
declined giving me written and signed statements because again they did
not want to be involved in bad publicity that may hurt the shelter.
Someone with as much money as a vet could easily retaliated by bringing
the shelter up on charges of slander.  The court cost would wipe the
family out as well as shut down the shelter.

Shelters work had to maintain what they have.  Most of them get small
donations but the person who manages it usually pays 75-98% of the
overall cost.  Bringing up a individual party on neglect or abuse charges
can normally be handled by a local Animal Control if they have time.
But look at PETA, they have been fighting the big companies like Marshals
Farms, Puppy Mills and IAMS for years.  They can do it because they have
a huge bank account as well as lawyers who want the publicity.

I had a puppy mill which I would occasionally visit and then promptly
report to the local animal control.  Every time that Animal control
would show up almost every dog would be gone.  The Animal Control Office
had a snitch who when they found out about a report to the puppy mill
the would give them a heads up so they could stash the dogs.

I had a family member who worked for a vet who had some rather shady
practices such as faking cremations and giving the family a box of common
ashes while he shipped their pet off to a research lab.  Several attempts
were made to turn this guy in but he had someone on the inside that made
sure the vet knew want was happening so he could hide evidence.

I don't know about the rest of you but I love watching Animal Rescue 911.
The only sad part is that those places are the exception, not the rule.

Now my question for everyone who has dealt with animals on a regular
rescue basis, How many of you have turned in a neglect or abuse case when
a ferret comes to your shelter turned in by the owner?  What was the
outcome of the case.

With these questions answered maybe you can help others with proper
procedures. :)

Peace

From Harmony House

P.S. The case of the above crooked vet took place over 20 years.  I have
no further information.