Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2008 14:01:33 -0700
My first week in New Zealand is finished. So far, I've seen downtown
Auckland, the interior of the ecology laboratory, the new outdoor
necropsy facilities at the university, a bit of the town, and Dr King's
home and gardens. Not much actually of New Zealand itself. Since there
is not much I can do this weekend (being it is the holiday and all), I
will wisely use the time to stalk feral ferrets! Well, after I first
visit some local ferret people and meet their pets.

I still have a huge backlog of materials to measure, but things are
gradually catching up. I have a day, maybe two, for lab work and then
I am off to Taupo for some time in the necropsy theatre.

I am extremely happy and grateful to announce that this research has
been recently supported by the KC Ferret Hotline and Shelter, whose
ferrets has made a generous and much appreciated donation to help
insure that I can continue work for as long as possible.

Since I wrote the above paragraph (I am forced to write as much as
I can, when I can, and save the progress), the American Ferret
Association (the AFA) has also provided an extremely generous and much
appreciated donation that will go a long way to insure the work will
continue as long as possible.

I am extremely grateful and equally appreciative of both donations.
Both will be placed on the permanent acknowledgment list that will
accompany all publications that rise from this research. For those
that are not acquainted with scientific publications, it is not only
customary, but in some instances required to disclose funding and
support. At the end of the articles that arise from this research, I
will name those who have contributed directly to the cause, and their
names will become a permanent part of the record for all to see in
perpetuity.

Both donations could not have been more timely or important. In my
journey to Hamilton, I dropped the case that contained a machine I use
to seal samples, breaking it. I was forced to ship the broken one back
to the USA and have a new one shipped here. I will also be able to
replace an external USB hard drive that "wandered" off while I was in
a library (thank heavens I cable-locked the computer, or it could have
"gone on holiday" as well!). Thank you both so very much! You have
pulled my budget out of the fire!

Bob C [log in to unmask]