Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 1997 23:20:24 +0000
Hi Endel, you asked some questions, which I'll try to address (in my own way
hehe)...

> 1. That ferrets are very territorial and will mark their territory.. <snip>

Ahhhh, marking territory?  No.  I've had whole ferrets (jills - females and
hobs - males) and I've had desexed ferrets (also known as sprites - females
and gibs - males).  In none of them did I see any 'marking territory'.
Maybe I was lucky, maybe not, but not a single one did this.  Now... litter
training... THAT is another matter.  Ferrets, as you noted, are often on a
full stop or full go, and when they want to go they go!!  Training with some
of them is a never-ending process.  Ferrets are smart, but with
litter-training, they seem to put up a mental block sometimes <grin>

>2. That ferrets, all ferrets, eventually bite, and become bad pets as
>they grow older (seems hard to believe from my brief encounters).

Ferrets are like many animals in some respects... If they are treated well,
fed well and properly, if they're given attention... they have got to be (in
my somewhat biased opinion, although I've owned many different species...)
the world's most perfect pet.  Ferrets are loving, playful, mischievious,
and smart.  They're a little independent like a cat, yet very attentive like
a dog.  They can be walked on a leash (with harness), house-trained,
shoulder trained, do tricks (they'll do anything for a treat or snuggle!!)
and they remain playful for many, many years.  They live longer than many
pets (over 6 years, some living over 11 and 12 years), and dig themselves
right into your heart.

>3. That the ferrets odor becomes every increasingly more strong, and that
>there is nothing you can do to remove, neutralize, or mask the odor.

Personally, I've noticed that kits (the babies) seem to smell more than
other ferrets, unless they're whole ferrets that are in season.  None of my
ferrets are descented and overall, they rarely smell.  To remove odours,
it's a good idea to wash their bedding frequently, keep their cage clean
(which I'm sure you will anyway), and DO NOT wash them.  Sounds strange??
Over-washing a ferret seems to increase their skins' oil production, and
they will 'smell' more.  Personally, I've found the best 'odour remover' is
to let them dig in some nice cool soil.  They love it!!  (be aware though,
it's better to keep them on a harness or in a confined area when outside)

>Since very young, I've had dogs, cats, rats ... I have always felt that
>this had only enriched my childhood, and is something I would desire for my
>daughters.  And though I have not seen anything that would send off any
>warning signs to me; I must admit that I have only handled young ferrets in
>a limited capacity and surroundings.

Sounds like you know more about animal care than most people!!  Personally,
I can't think of a better pet.  All young children should be well supervised
with all animals, as you'll know, having had that many!!  It's very rare
that anything does happen, and with ferrets, IF something happens, it's
invariably because the animal wasn't cared for properly, or the ferret and
children were left unsupervised.  Of course, older children, especially
those used to having animals around them, make absolutely awesome ferret
owners.  You'll know your children, and what they can cope with better than
anyone on this Mailing List.  Each ferret has a different personality, and
so, should you decide to get one or more (they're more fun in pairs!!)
you'll learn who's the best for guests to play with, and who's best for
tricks etc... some just plain don't like visitors, although I'll admit, all
of mine are good with everyone now.  A little time and patience will win
over virtually any ferret.

>I would really appreciate some very honest and as objective as possible,
>information about ferrets so that I can make an informed decision as to
>whether or not my children and myself should get them as pets.

Now, I wouldn't say that any of us here could be honestly objective, but
I've at least tried to answer your questions :oO As I mentioned earlier, I
may well be slightly biased (hehehe) but I have had experience with many
different species of animals, and none have ever compared to these little
guys.  Should you decide to go ahead with getting a ferret, or have any more
questions, I'm sure everyone at the FML (and those you'll meet and get to
know 'personally') will be more than happy to respond.  Sometimes they're a
little cranky, ;o), but overall, we're a pretty good bunch.

Welcome Endel, to our family,

Sam
-------

For the ferrets who died in Spokane 19 November 1997...

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~fanmail/spokane.html
(or the mirror site at Geocities)
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/9131/spokane.html

May their lives be remembered, and their murderer punished to the fullest
extent of the law