From:
JudithMoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 06:48:01 -0800
Okay, my turn to bat on this potty training thing!  At Moonsong Ferrets we
believe early training is essential as many people getting my ferrets may
not know how to train the babies.  We raise our babies on a floor, not on
wire.  We always have a litter box in the cage.  At first the babies poop
everywhere about the cage.  Twice daily we wash the floor of the cage with
clorox (bleach and water).  We do not bleach out the potty pans!  If they
get really dirty we clean them and then after putting new litter in them
put a bit of their poop back in the pan.  The reason is the babies are
learning where to potty and they use their noses (sense of smell) to find
the right place.  So for about two to four weeks we empty the potty boxes
but do not bleach them.  During this time we also change the boxes for a
different shape and size.  (We put a little bit of their poop into the new
box)  This is so the babies will get used to all different sizes and shapes
of litter pans and not get fixated on one kind.  We do not allow our babies
to roam the whole house, but have a ferret room for them.  So we put a
potty box in the corner when the ferrets are out to play.  We have a fair,
but not perfect ratio of hits.  With 17 plus ferrets playing it amounts to
maybe 50%.  We have a vinyl floor in this room and we just mop the floor
after play time.  (Yes, every day).  Just another way we are trying to make
the lives of Moonsong Ferret owners easier.....potty trained ferrets. :) :)

Judith
Moonsong Ferrets bred to be the perfect companion
http://moonsongferrets.virtualave.net