From:
Mason Weinrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 12:02:18 -0500
Dear Friends -

        I've decided to add a second ferret to the household to keep Slinky
company.  Slinky is my 17-month old MF male ferret, who hasn't
seen another ferret since he was about 10 weeks old.  Recently I've
gotten the feeling he is slightly bored, despite my efforts to keep
him entertained.  He still follows Leila, the 7-year old cat around to be
friends - occasionally she plays, most often just walks away.

        Anyway, I know the basics of introducing a new ferret - I already
have a second cage to use for a while, etc.  But, I do have several
questions for folks.  1) What age is best to introduce?  One source said
a similar age ferret is best, since energy levels will be compatible, but I
also thought it might be easier for Slinky to be dominant if the new one is
a kit (plus, of course, it would be fun to have a kit around again...).  2)
Is there a better sex to introduce?  I wouldn't put in a "whole"
(unneutered) male, but is there a difference between a spayed female and a
spayed male?  3) Since Slinky hasn't seen another ferret in so long, are
there any precautions above the normal that need to be taken during initial
meetings?

        Thanks for your help and advice.  I am about to go away for just
under a month (field work in the Sea of Cortez calls), and will probably
get the new one shortly after returning.

        Congrats to all of those who just got new ferrets (it sounds like
lots around - population is exploding!), and condolences to those who lost
them.

Best - Mason, Slinky, and Leila ("You're getting WHAT?  Can we talk about
this?")