From:
Mason Weinrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 1995 11:03:58 -0500
Dear Friends -

        Well, Pogo has survived for at least 48 hours.  Just so folks know
- to this point, I have heard back from 5 people regarding first steps in
getting Slinky (my 19-month neutered male) to accept Pogo (my 7-week old
neutered male).  So far, three have said to let them work it out under
supervision, while two have said to keep them separate for a while.  Since
two of the three were husband and wife, I think that makes it two votes
each and one still confused owner...

        Last night I let Slinky out and let him run around until he went to
sleep, then took Pogo out for some quiet time.  Pogo is very shy so far,
and has yet to really develop the "ferret curiosity" - he spent two hours
on either Elin or my shoulder and lap, loved to play with fingers, and fell
asleep on each of us - also loved to play in hair.  Slinky (who is out
almost all of the time) has been going right up to Pogo's cage (and in it
if I accidentally leave the lid up when he's out) - several times they have
been mouthing each other through the cage bars.  I have let them contact
each other briefly twice - both times Slinky has still been jumping on
Pogo and dragging him around. I separate them when Slink really starts to
shake Pogo around - but no wounds so far (just a very shaken up little
guy).  Pogo appears fine, is eating like a horse, and knows to use the
litter box in his cage after only a day, so I think he'll be OK in the long
run.

- Mason, Slinky ("Mason, are you still my friend?"), Pogo ("Now, which way
is up again?), and Leila the cat ("Amazing - something even more clueless
than the original weasel!").