From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 09:43:02 -0600
The lethal injection is painful to the animal.  It burns when injected.  The
body sometimes responds by jerking or vocalization.

Ferrets and other small animals have tiny hearts that may not be hit the
first time and in some cases the lethal dose is injected in beside the heart
which takes time to kill.  This may only be minutes but the animal will be
frightened, confused and may experience pain.

The cost of the additional sedative injection is small, very small.  If your
vet cannot allow the time for your beloved companion to pass over gently you
may want to consider discussing why with him/her.  Some vets have a
difficult time dealing with death.  Perhaps they are not aware of the gentle
way.  A compassionate vet will understand and want to help your little one
pass gently.

While it is very difficult for us to be there when our little ones need help
passing over, it is an important responsibility.  After all the days,
months, years that they have given us their undying and unconditional love
we owe them this final act of our love.

The gentle way we use is to have our vet give a sedative first.  Once the
little one is sleeping peacefully we give our final hugs and kisses and then
the lethal injection is given.  They leave in a few minutes and it seems as
if they died in their sleep, which is actually what they did.

The little ones last memory is of being lovingly held and kissed by their
beloved guardian.  Yes, it is difficult on us, it tears me apart, but it
would hurt more not to have been there to reassure them that I do love them
and not to see that they truly did gently leave.

Remember that if it is done the gentle way, the animal first drifts into a
peaceful sleep.  Perhaps you can stay for the sedative injection then leave
the room right before the lethal injection.

Perhaps for people that cannot bring themselves to stay with their
companion, another family member or close friend can be with the animal.
Someone they know and love.  Death is more difficult for some to deal with.

Hugs to all and have a wonderful Thanksgiving. (I'm thankful for all the
ferrets that have come to me, no matter how short their time.) tle