From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2012 20:03:06 -0400
MC is certainly correct that a NZ breeder innocently (did not know
they were positive) exported ADV positive ferrets to the US. However,
I would not be so certain that the disease came from the ferrets she
got from Australia.

I say this because other ferrets imported from NZ, from a different
breeder also brought ADV over. I was unfortunate enough to get a ferret
from the breeder here who had imported the ferrets, and he came with
ADV.

Additionally, there was a ferret farm in NZ that was exporting kits to
the Netherlands, and those ferrets had ADV as well. Although the owner
of the farm was notified any number of times, even by some vets, that
the ferrets he had were infected with ADV, he never paid attention to
the warnings.

How the ADV initially came to NZ is most likely unknown, but ferrets
and polecats were brought into NZ from a number of countries, including
the UK, so it is very possible that ADV had been in NZ for many years.

That said, I have no way of knowing whether Australia has any ADV or
not, so I will not make a statement about that one way or the other.
However, the ferrets in Australia are descendents of ferrets that were
imported from European countries, including the UK, so if there is
really no ADV in Australia, then it is by sheer luck that is the case.

Testing for ADV is very important. Untested animals may have the
disease, but not show symptoms. Testing is the only way to know. Areas
that do not test, but claim there is no ADV might just be surprised if
they started testing.

--
Danee
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!