From:
"JEFF JOHNSTON, EPIDEMIOLOGY" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 1996 22:41:14 -0500
Presumably, some of you have seen the Mountain Dew soft ad in which four
genteel grandmother-types engage in a contest to see which of their
grandkids engages in the most life- threatening sport.  (This is a
watered- down 90s version of a bit Monty Python did about 25 years ago
with four Yorkshiremen that was funnier, but even more outrageous.)
Anyway, the last of the four grandmothers tops them all by exclaiming,
"Well, my boy does the Dew!"

I can now claim that my ferret does the 'dew.  In this case, however, I'm
referring to mildew.  Bleh.  My two guys, Ren & Stimpy, both love to crawl
into the shower basin (either during or after it's intended use) and lap up
the water.  Stimpy, however, gets up on his hind legs and licks the crevices
and joints where the fiberglas sections meet which often have collected film
of mildew, soap scum and heavens-knows-what-else.  I try to keep the shower
clean, but nothing eliminates mildew forever--especially in the South and in
the summer in particular..

Ren seems uninterested in the red or black goo that grows in the crevices.
I wonder what health hazards Stimpy might risk doing this.  I know, for
example, that it's possible to culture legionella (the bacterium that causes
Legionnaire's disease) from the amoebae that live in the slime on shower
heads...and presumably in the shower or tub, too.  Stimpy is one of those
seemingly self-destructive ferrets who is irresistably attracted to anything
bad for him including plastic and styrofoam.  If he were human he'd probably
be one of those guys in circus side- shows that eats glass, swords, safety
pins, bugs, etc.  etc.
What a weirdo.

Anyone else have stories of scum-sucking ferrets?

  --Jeff Johnston ([log in to unmask])