From:
Chris Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:30:34 -0400
>Actually, if you are willing to invest in a better fireplace screen, get
>one made primarily of a metal frame with glass inserts, rather than
>screen.  The glass will radiate the heat safely, will prevent sparks from
>flying out better than a screen and, to date, I haven't heard any stories
>of ferrets being able to climb a sheet of glass!  :)

Todd and the (OK, who has my suction cups) Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!

I responded privately to the person who originally posted about the
screens, but after reading this, thought I"d toss my 2 cents in for
everyone to read <G>

My future in-laws have a fireplace with the metal frame and glass doors.
The entire unit fits fairly flush with the brick face of the fireplace
itself.  My little 1.5 lb girl Loki (RIP) was able to pull the metal frame
away from the brick.  I kid you not.  She wanted IN the fireplace and
grabbed ahold of the corner and started pulling and away it came.  Just a
little at first, but we all know how determined ferrets are when they
realize they have made headway!  Fortunately I was sitting on a chair
nearly right beside her and stopped that behavior.  But she never forgot...
I'm sure that type is safer than a screen, just keep an eye on what your
ferrets are up to!

cheers
chris and the WVU weasels
Fidget (why aren't I allowed near the fireplace)
Hotspur (why doesn't our fireplace have anything good in it?)