From:
Jessica Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:57:33 -0700
I have 5 ferrets and do all of the above.

It is very important to clean ears.  It helps the smell...dirty ears
equal smelly ears and it helps to prevent ear mites.  Ferrets do groom
themselves, but mine have never cleaned out their ears.

Nail...I do not understand how you can not clip or have your ferrets
nails clipped.  I try and do them every 2 weeks, which sometimes doesn't
seem like enough.  If you do not clip your ferret's nails, they will
start to split and snag on the bedding, carpet, rugs, etc.  and will rip
the nail or part of the nail off if the ferret gets stuck and pulls on
it.  Clipping or having your ferrets nails clipped is extremely
important.

Ferretone and Lax...I'm not as good at giving lax as I should.  I too use
a mix of petroleum jelly (vaseline) and Ferretone.  My fuzzies do not
care for the taste of the Ferretlax.  I think it's the malt flavoring
they do not like.  So I mix up a batch of jelly with tone and they love
it.  I give it to them a couple times a week during shedding season and
then sporadically when I think they need it.

All of this is part of good ferret care and all of this is necessary.  It
will save you money (vet bills) and time in the long run.  It's just part
of grooming and caring for your ferret.  It's just like if you have a
baby, you would need to bath the baby, feed it, clip it's nail, clean
it's ears, etc.  Caring for your ferret is like caring for your child.

Jessica & the F-5 Mafia

Fuzzy Kisses are the Best Kind of Kisses!!!!!