From:
Melanie Prarat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 2009 11:02:23 -0400
Ed,
I think it is obvious, based on your elaborate details, that you wanted
to evoke a response from the readers of this list. Who, besides you,
would EVER squirt ice cold water from a water gun into their ferret's
ear?!? I enjoy your contributions to this list because you often
present a point of view that deviates from the accepted norm. But to
punish a ferret that poops in a corner by squirting it in the ear with
ice water?!? Come on. I know that you know how ferrets work. They poop
in corners. You either successfully train them using positive
reinforcement to use a litter box, or you adjust your expectations by
putting newspaper or another litter box in their chosen corner.

I only have one ferret, so I can't speak from much experience, but when
he chooses a corner, he religiously uses that corner and no other. That
is just the way it is. He is caged when I am gone, and he uses his
litter box. But when I am home, he has free roam of the apartment, and
he uses his corner in front of the front door. I would never consider
punishing him for doing something he considers completely natural
(pooping in a corner).

So, Edward, you have been successful. You have evoked a response from
me. Not so much anger, but awed at your rather ridiculous idea to
litter-train Jenny's ferrets. Congratulations.

Regards,
Melanie