From:
"Larry D. Tilford" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 09:11:33 -0800
I want to ask a question based on the topic I keep seeing in the FML about
restrictions on ferret sales.  Lately I've seen comments like alpachi's most
recent:

>Allowing that kit to remain in the store a little londer will mean fewer
>replacement orders, reduce breeding requirements, and compel pet stores to
>explore other avenues of income.

(and alpa, I mean no offense.  Generally, while I rarely agree with you, I
find your comments reasonable, respectful, and thought-provoking.

However, similarly, I read here that ferrets should not be sold to anyone
unless they are fully instructed by a ferret shelter owner.  Another writer
called people who buy ferrets from pet stores "idiots." I'm sorry, I just
don't understand that sort of elitist attitude that says, "I will determine
for you whether you should own a ferret."  This is the sort of nonsense that
I wrote about as my experience earlier in the FML.  I am offended by the
arrogance of this position.  I am compelled to ask: if there are five
million ferrets owned in this country, what percent of these are currently
in shelters?  How many of these ferrets' owners are "idiots" because they
have not been checked out by some shelter owner/operator?  How does the
percentage compare with dogs and cats across the country?  Why are pet
stores the enemy because some of them, not most as recently asserted here (a
completely indefensable position), are ignorant about their charges.  I
don't defend ignorance, nor do I criticize how important education is.
However, shelter owners are not the only source for education.

Alpachi, don't you want ferrets to be available to people who love them and
want to experience the joy of owning/being owned by them?  If MF makes that
possible for people, then more power to them.  Restricting sales of ferrets
seems counterproductive to the mission of this group of people.  If the
majority of ferrets sold are winding up in shelters as is often implied,
then I would agree with you, but I want to see the numbers on that first.
Please educate me...

Larry Tilford