From:
Publicity Chair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2008 19:07:26 -0700
"I like to remain anonymous," says University of Pittsburgh veterinarian
Dr. Robert Wagner. But, if you must remember him, he would like to be
remembered as "a very good vet who helped as many animals as I can."
And, if that doesn't tell you the heart of the man, think about this.
"That's why I went into exotic animal care," he said. "I think that
vets can give very good care to animals at a reasonable cost; (we)
need to get owners to be trained and interactive." Which is why having
a vet of Dr. Wagner's caliber is important to ferret owners today!

The owner of a small private practice in Pennsylvania, Dr, Wagner finds
he is often called upon for the unconventional in ferret care. We have
all lost a ferret a time or two, and KNOW it must be somewhere in the
house. When that happens it helps to have a friend with a stethoscope
and heat sensor. Dr. Wagner used his to help a friend locate his
ferret, then cut a hole in the wall to get him out!

As a volunteer for the wildlife rehab center he performs disease
surveillance and translocation. He has also volunteered at the
Pittsburgh Zoo and with the World Wildlife Fund (WWF), which provided
him an opportunity to work with Howler monkeys in Belize - a "fun and
memorable experience." When he has time, Dr. Wagner likes to play
hockey. He also enjoys biking and skiing, but loves trout fishing, a
passion shared by many of our speakers! And, ever supportive of the
locals, he will watch the Steelers and Penguins.

Like many other vets, he was presented his first ferret by owners who
left it at the vet instead of paying for its care. Realizing that
"these animals needed care and very few people were giving" it, Dr.
Wagner decided to work with exotic animals. He also started doing
clinical research, particularly in the area of adrenal disease. Several
years ago he did some work on thyroid levels. "The problem is that
thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) assays not available because they
were taken off the market."

Dr. Wagner admits, "I get a lot of pleasure out of my family and
friends." He is married and the father of 1n 11-year-old daughter who
has daddy wrapped around her little finger. The entire family joined
us in Portland last year for the 2007 Symposium and they were a lot
of fun. Perhaps you can visit with them some this year.

On Friday night of the symposium, Dr. Wagner will be presenting a
breakout session on pre- and post-natal care of ferrets for breeders
and those who are thinking of breeding.

To use this vet, you can reach him at:
Fox Chapel Animal Hospital
1152 Freeport Rd
Pittsburgh, PA 15238
(412) 781-6446

Renee Downs
Join us in Pittsburgh
November 7-9, 2008

International Ferret Congress (http://www.ferretcongress.org)
Ferret Emergency Response, Rescue and Evacuation Team (F.E.R.R.E.T.)
(http://www.ferretemergency.org)