From:
Steve Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 04:53:00 -0500
>Congratulations to the beagles who will be spending this holiday season
>in a real home instead of as the subject of someone's "research."
>Ronnie

I believe that as long as medical research can legally include animals,
and that as long as MF or other farms that breed to sell to lab or pet
stores are meeting regulations, then it is wrong to steal those animals.
Whether to "liberate" them, or for other purposes.  And I would say that
if anyone took in a stolen animal knowing it was taken, that person would
be in receipt of stolen property.

How can we all work together if we don't agree?  I don't get that.  I
agree that I love animals and you love animals, but I don't agree that
someone else's property should be stolen.  I also don't agree that all
animals should be "free" or wild.  I eat meat, wear leather, so I won't
be a hypocrite and say otherwise.  I use medications that were probably
first tested on animals, the joint medication that is so popular now was
first used in dogs, epilepsy meds were tested on some dogs that are prone
to epilepsy, and I think narcolepsy too??  I do feel bad, but not bad
enough to give up my house, and replant the trees and grass so the
wildlife can come back, and not be displaced.

I would think we can learn and maybe make changes so that in the future
we put more emphasis into wildlife conservation, animal rights laws, and
recognize that pets are more than just property in the eyes of the law.

Making changes will not be easy, but I think can be done so legally and
not have to resort to propaganda, slander, twisting the truth, or stunts
to alienate the rest of us who might have otherwise been sympathetic to
their cause.

Patty

[Moderator's note: "Third stage in MF discussion:" we begin to comment
about animal's rights in general and not about ferrets in particular.
It's time to close the MF topic again -- anyone wishing to make a
final Marshall Farms-specific comment please do so now.  BIG]