From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 1997 14:57:55 -0500
One important thing I am learning is that "managed the same as cats and
dogs" differs dramatically from state to state.  Depending on vaccination
status some have quarantines, some have quarantines of different times and
procedures (such as months and months in a vet's office) if an animal is not
vaccinated as compared to when it is vaccinated, and some require killing
unvaccinated animals.  So, DO use that IMRAB-3 and keep your certificate in
a safe place.

Another thing is that state procedures vary all over the place, and of
course, these folks have to follow their state laws.  Some of them have to
be reviewed by other departments such as the their state versions of Fish
and Wildlife, and/or Agriculture, or some others, so they have to carefully
cover their butts by having published studies they can produce.  Some have
to leave it open to public comment for a while.  Troy Lynn said that in
her's the local health departments can ignore the state one on certain
things so there the local ones have to be educated in a logical and friendly
fashion.  In some policy eventually becomes codified into statute but in
others it does not.  Some need just the decision of their professionals,
some need just the sent Compendium, some need both the Compendium and the
studies to all be published in a refereed journal.  Some can't do anything
if legislation is pending.  The list could go on and on.  Honestly, the
public health vets don't even know the differences; I've had comments from
some that certain of my questions made no sense because a certain variation
couldn't exist in any state, only to open the next letter and see exactly
that variation.  So, if you are an activist in your state use your lawyers'
and politicians' help wisely before making any leaps until after the policy
changes have had a chance to happen there.