From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 00:40:20 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=1929

I will have to agree with the others.  Yes, it still sounds like adrenal
gland disease.  Yes, a portion of the adrenal gland (1/3) can and does
"regrow."  Thus the tumor and signs continue or return.  There are 2
basic options at this point.  Surgery to remove the right adrenal gland
completely.  If the entire gland is removed then he will need hormone
therapy (pred, percorten-V).  Option 2 is to use Lupron to control the
signs; however, sexual behavior is usually caused from adenocarcinomas.
Those are the tumors that can get really big in size, so removal is
the best option.  Most right glands can be removed and the vena cava
repaired, so vena cava ligation is still a last resort option.  The
surgery I did on Friday required vena cava ligation, but vena cava
ligation should be reserved for those cases when the vena cava is damaged
beyond repair.

Hope that helps,
Jerry Murray, DVM
Dallas Texas.

[Quick Sukie note: another common medical approach to lack of adrenal
glands and Addison's crisis is the combo of Florinef and Pred.]