From:
"Suzanna C. Donahue" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:07:11 EDT
Karen,

Melatonin is a hormone.  It's supposed to help you sleep.  It is naturally
produced by your body, but supposedly the amount decreases as you age.  I
have tried it twice.  It did help me to sleep.  After the first night of
taking it, I had a moderate allergy attack the following day.  After the
second night, I had a severe allergy attack (constant sneezing) the next
day despite the fact I take Claritin D every day.  That was the last time
I will ever take that stuff.

After doing a search on the internet, I found that people with immune
disorders and allergies should not take it (there was no warning on the
product I took).  Apparently, melatonin gives the immune system a boost.
Hence, my allergy attacks.  Please be careful if you choose to use this
stuff.  If your ferrets have an undiagnosed immune system problem, you
could be making it much worse.

Suzanna