From:
AlphaChi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 09:20:07 -0500
Dear Laura and Matt,
Declawing has always been a delicate subject for me.  After all, declawing
is actually the removal of the first distal, not just the claw.  [cringe].
In ferrets, the operation is a little different than that of a cat and only
"ferret" experienced vets should be allowed to perform this surgery.  All
surgery has the outside chance of a reaction in which the animal dies.  And
then there is the possibility of an infection during the healing process.
Finally, some people consider this maiming a ferret, "gee, can s/he still
walk ok?  However, in defence of declawing there are several considerations,
none of which should concern minor scratches to owners.  First, free roaming
ferrets offer more challenges to keep them out of harm's way.  A determined
ferret can be very destructive in getting where it wants to go, or atleast
trying to.  I've seen them shred couches, carpets, chairs, and the
underlining of furniture and beds; the last I have heard, has led to more
than one untimely ferret death.  By declawing a free roaming ferret you are
limiting its climbing ability only in a very minor way, they can still jump,
and use their back claws for that extra push [I have actually seen a
declawed ferret climb a panted leg!].  But it does prevent them from
climbing drapes and shredding screens, both of which can also put ferrets in
harm's way.  [It also prevents them from climbing up my bedding in the
middle of the night and being crushed while snuggling.] There are countless
other places and things a ferret can DIG through when given the time and
inclination.

As for infections, if done properly [like just about anything], infections
can be prevented due to a very fast healing period and keeping the critter
caged only for a couple of days and using newspaper or pellet type litter
for about a week [actually, I believe the wood pellet litter material [made
by "Natures Way"] is fine ALL the time and pretty cheap too.

Yes, there are some other ways to prevent most of the above untoward
incidents.  But small nails in carpet or wire under doorways does not sound
too keen; putting chicken wire under all upolstery seems a bit much and if
not executed properly it can actually execute the ferret.  One could build a
fortress of wire, mesh, and no furniture, and still be thwarted by a
determined and "fully equipped" ferret.  Unfortunately, it is the ferret
that often pays the price for their determination.

All of these concerns are regarding free roaming ferrets as I believe caged
ferrets who are always monitored when out and about do not offer quite the
same challenges and opportunities for trouble.  But, some may argue that
unless you have an eagle eye.  Even the most careful and experienced owners
can make one mistake, and sometimes one is all a ferret is allowed.

As you can see, deciding to declaw any ferret is a deeply personal and
individual matter that deserves much consideration and respect; most of
which needs to be directed towards the ferret's welfare, not human
convenience.

Finally, please be aware of any possible bias as I have owned four free
roamers,[two recently lost to ECE] all of them "subjected" to this
procedure.  None of them have ever shown the slightest of inabilities
[except for the critical and potentially dangerous extremes mentioned
above].  In fact on hard flooring, of which half their domicile consists of,
they are MORE adept.  Also, in a wrestling match with fully equipped
ferrets, they show no handicap.  I can only tell you that if I had witnessed
ANY adverse effects, I would never have continued the practice and been
filled with eternal remorse.  Fortunately for all of us here, that has not
been the case.  Please understand that I am only discussing front claws, as
I see no advantage for the ferret by removing rear claws.  And I have all
the scratches to prove this!  I have seen the this operation performed on
two ferrets at 1 year and two at nine months [the earliest it should be
performed according to the vet] and have seen no difference in reaction.  As
homes, conditions, and ferrets vary widely, I could never in clear
conscience generalize any advice on whether or not to have this procedure
performed.  I can only attest to my personal experience and observations
concerning declawing.  "Popularity" and "scratchy ferret claws" need have
nothing to do with it.