From:
AlphaChi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 12:15:32 -0500
>I know this is a a silly question but I was shocked by the diagnosis.  I
>have never thought about animals being depressed.
>Mike,Melony, Josh, Qpid & Valentine Dorman

First, the physiological symptoms you are describing sound awfully similar
to ECE.  As to Valentine's reported behavior, I have heard from several
individuals that depression can be experienced by a ferret over loss or a
distinct change in environment or schedule.  Personally, after only one of my
original ferrets[Deja] survived a bout with ECE, her loss of her companions
appears to have markedly altered her behavior.  Even several months later
and two new ferts, she is still very lethargic, her affect could only be
described as flat, her mood depressed.  All medical diagnostic tests have
been performed [redundantly] to rule out any possible chemical or
physiological causes.  All tests have been returned picture perfect.
Considering her clean bill of health, I am left with the only other
possibility [her psyche] being the root of her recent behavior.  She is only
four years old and prior to her loss, she was very active.  Presently, she
still has to be spoon fed as she does not voluntarily eat.  BTW, she
experienced none of the symptoms of ECE that her companions suffered.  With
Deja, the cause for this apparent behavior would most likely be a depression
due to the loss of her companions.  However, Valentine's behavior may be a
symptom of her physical distress.  Ferrets can get very lethargic whenever
an illness becomes serious.  An illness can go on for quite some time before
they actually present any behavioral changes.  Some individuals that I have
shared this with believe ferts can sense and adopt the mood of thier owner.
Considering this possibility, it may be wise for you to clearly demonstrate
an upbeat, positive, playful, and affectionate attitude and behavior toward
Valentine, despite your worry for her well-being.  As far as the possibility
of ferts suffering from a neurologically based mood disorder, while I have
heard of this in dogs and cats, and of successful pharmacological
intervention, I am personally unaware of this occurring in ferts.  However,
I see no reason to discount this possibility.

best wishes,

alphachi

ps give her an extra hug and a smile for me :-)