From:
Daryl Leslie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 22:13:40 -0400
Hi to all of the members of the FML,

First let me say thanks to all who have replyed to my post; as everyone who
has replyed have been very polite and made their points without getting
personal, with the exception of one on email who said I was ignorant and
only out for a buck.

I certainly didn't mean to come across as saying that we shouldn't be able
to vioce our opinions to ebay if someone posts something we personally find
offensive, that would be taking away rights of citizens that I try so
desperately to defend everyday, the very rights of the ebay seller that
posted the ferret.

I just feel that telling Ebay that they are WRONG for allowing this
post(wich is what the original poster of the information advocated us
doing) was not the correct language to use, its their right to allow such
legal items, it is our right to DISAGREE with their policy, not our right
to say they're WRONG, to say wrong would mean illegal or against the rules,
IMHO.  To disagree would mean we think its sick and disgusting( which I
find it to be).

Do you think that you could support someones right to do something that is
legal under the law but perhaps you personally find immoral or unethical?

My answer is absolutely yes.  Some of you may find it difficult to support
someones right to do something that you personally disagree with but I do
not, guess thats the libertarian coming out in me.

I personally do not hunt for food or sport.  I do not own a deer head or a
mounted fish or any thing elese like that.  I donot personally support the
killing of any animal for the sole purpose display as a trophy.  I found
the auction on ebay to be as disgusting as most if not all of you did, but
I guess the difference is that I am wiling to put my self at risk to defend
at all costs the right of the seller to sell an item on ebay that is
neither illegal or against ebays rules.  This item was totally within ebays
rules, as well as legal according to the laws at the current time in the
United states.  Therefore I supported it 100%, wether I liked it or not.

You are all corect in that there is a huge difference between wildlife and
domesticated animals.  My only reason for raising this point was to see what
peoples true objections were; taxidermy in general or taxidermy on ferrets.

Unethical and immoral are relative terms, there could be huge differences
between what people find to be immoral and unethical.  I feel these points
were raised out of emotion and not logic.  Logic would dictate that you
cant force your morals or ethics on someone else.

If not on ebay then somewhere, if this sicko found a buyer then certainly
he would find a new supply of "goods".  The original poster brought up the
part about slaughtering ferets to sell as trophys not me.  I only stated
that stopping the sale on ebay would not stop the eventual sale, the item
was not removed by ebay, the seller ended it.  The hyperlink was not
complete in the original post.  so thats why you all couldnt get to it by
clicking on it.  If ebay did end it because THEY thought it was against
their rules then I support them all the way.

Mom I know you told me not to do this, just to let it die but, I couldn't.
Sorry.

Thanks for listening and sorry for the length but it coud have been
longer.  :-)

Daryl

Lovin Magic and missing pepper terribly.

[Moderator's note: I'd also like to point out I thought all the responses
I've seen have been wonderful!  Thank you all for not posting serious
flames regarding this sensitive topic.  BIG]