From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 14:24:12 -0600
Normally at these auctions we see breeder ferrets.  Not this time.  A lady
brought in two pet ferrets to be sold.  She had 3 but one had lost all his
hair and she didn't think anyone would buy him so she separated the two
boys and brought the one older male.  The two boys had been dropped off at
her back door 4 months ago.  The other ferret she brought was a female that
she'd had for 2 1/2 yrs and had gotten her at a swap meet.  Don't worry,
these two ferrets are safe and we're working on the 3rd.

The exotic animal auctions I've been too are dirty, noisy, substandard
conditions with tiny cages that sometimes do not allow the animals to stand
or turn around (which is against USDA regs but apparently the local agents
don't see a problem with this even though it is out right illegal) and the
animals are frightened, stressed, have no bedding, no food, no water (also
against USDA regs) and are not kept in temp controlled areas (at least the
ferrets aren't).  I've sat on the cold ground in March holding a tiny
8in x 8in cage that held a full size male ferret with no food or water.
He shivered uncontrollably and curled tightly in a ball to try and get
warm, to no avail, until I laid his cage on my lap and took my coat off
and wrapped it around his cage.

Anyone in Kansas that is interested in stopping ferrets from being sold at
auctions and swap meets, please contact me.  We are too late to do anything
this year, but we have time to get organized before next legislation term
begins (November).  If any Kansas know legislators personally please start
working on them.  We've got to do something about this.  Dogs and cats are
not sold at the auctions because they are considered domestic.  Ferrets ARE
domestic but considered exotic in Kansas.  It's past time that we do
something.  I can't do it alone.  I need your help.

hugs to all. tle