From:
Elena Heckathorne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 02:16:54 -0800
Jo wrote:
>I have never been on a real vacation with him before & don't know what to
>expect from Motel/Hotels.  Do I tell them when making reservations that I
>have one & that he is in a cage or what?  Are there motels that won't let
>you stay there because you have one?  Does anyone know of a certain
>hotel/motel that allows pets?

I have driven with my fuzzies from California (ssshhhhh!!!!! <g>) to
New Jersey and back again, and we never had trouble finding a hotel.
Generally, i think, hotels either take pets or don't; i never encountered
any ferret-specific discrimination.  There's a website that lists
pet-friendly hotels, both chains and single-site, but i've forgotten
where it is exactly!  I'll try to find it for you.

>I just think it would be so much easier to stay home, but my Hubby wants
>to go to Duluth this year.  What to do?

Let him go and stay home and party with Marty!!  just kiddin'!  ; )

>Also, are pet Ferrets legal in Minnesota?  I was thinking that the only
>place they weren't was California?  Am I right on this?

Yep, except for Hawaii, but you probably won't be driving there : )

>One last thing.  If we do decide to go, is there anything special I have
>to do to take him like shots or anything.

Make sure his rabies shots are up-to-date, and keep the paperwork from your
vet with you at all times.  You never know when someone might stick their
fingers in his cage and startle him enough to nip, and having current
rabies documentation can keep such a situation from getting very, very
ugly.  You might want to check the state regs of all the states you'll be
traveling through to make sure they accept the kind of rabies vaccination
they do in your state.

Finally, when you check into a hotel room, assume it's full of ferret
dangers until you check it out thoroughly.  We've found all kinds of nasty
things in hotel rooms that we never would've noticed had we not been
travelling with the fuzzies - ripped out bottoms of chairs and box springs,
ratty electrical cords, and the most horrible of all (and you wouldn't
believe how many of *these* you find in supposedly nice places), HOLES in
the walls, covered up by bedframes, dressers and wastebaskets.  In fact,
it's probably best to keep the little guy in his cage, despite how bad he
(and you) are going to want to play at the end of a hard day of driving.

Good luck!!

Elena, Twig-o-letta and Pixie Poopy