From:
Kit West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 1995 21:42:05 -0500
My silver mitt gib, Lazer, died 11/30/94.  I know how John must feel losing
Buddy.  I, too, was certain that I should have caught his symptoms sooner.
Once the necropsy results were in and the vet reassured me that I had done
all that I could have done, I felt a wee bit better.  I brought him to the
vet that morning, not for the ultrasound we had scheduled, but to end his
suffering (he was passing blood instead of urine, and that's how I found him
that morning).  I held him until he fell asleep from the first injection,
crying and petting him.  After they took him to the back for the final
injection, I asked the vet if she could get me his paw print.  I told her
that I felt like a ghoul asking, but she said that she understood.

A week later, a condolence card arrived for the exotics staff at the vet
hospital with several 3x5s bearing his paw print.  I contacted a friend who
is a tattooist and now have my little guardian angel's paw on my shoulder.
Now I have him forever, not only in my heart, but with a physical reminder
that angels DO poop in corners, and rearrange bookshelves, and snuggle, and
sheet shark when the spirit moves them.

Lazer proved to me that I could still love my fur-kids. After I had to put
both my cairn terrier and borzio to sleep (within 30 days of each other), I
swore that I'd NEVER let another animnal into my heart. Lazer showed me that
I could never have been more incorrect!

And for all of you contemplating tattoos: look around, check out the local
people, get referrals, and be SURE to check out the artist's work.  A good
artist will take the time to make sure the work is as close to perfect as
possible.  Disposable needles and ink cups are a must as is an autoclave on
the premises.  (Can you tell that I've done this before?) Bring any artwork
with you.  If you have what you want already, it saves time and searching.
One studio I know of had books of illustrations (all sorts) which clients
could look through for either inspiration or the actual design.  I have a
bat that was based on four different photos of the same species.

Aftercare is important, too. A good tattooist will give you an aftercare
sheet. If you need any more information, please feel free to e-mail me.