From:
"Bill Looyen. (Ferretologist)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 21:21:24 +1300
Bill and diane killian
Wrote
>I'd recommend tattoos if you really want to identify you pet.  Inside the
>ears and on the belly or thighs I think are the normal areas....

Several years ago I used tattoos for identification.  I made a machine got
the needles and ink and after trying it on myself first [rather painful],
being very successful I did 3 litters.

Using a light anaesthetic [gas] I used the toes and pads, The toes, number
of the litter 1 to 10 and the pads for family's in combinations of left
front, right front same with hind legs, combination of front and hind etc,
etc ,etc.  Never had any infections or other problems.

Many a stray fluffie bum went back to there owner after consulting the data
base to find the corresponding tattoo and the matching phone number.

BILL