From:
Sharon Burbine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 19:27:35 -0400
This is to update everyone on the MA Ferret Law:

As you all have been made aware, the Ferret Law was passed in MA this past
March which legalized ferrets here.  The original bill prohibited the sale
of ferrets in pet stores.  A last minute amendment by the Pet Industry made
for the sale of ferrets in stores.  According to the law, any ferret sold in
MA would be neutered/spayed at time of sale and will have had all its
vaccinations at time of sale with proof of each.

In order for ferrets to be sold, it was determined that they would be given
only the first shot in the series to be affective.  So, they would receive
their distemper shots at 4, 8, 12, and 16 weeks.  Rabies in order to be
affective was given at 12 weeks.  This meant that ferrets would be sold at
12 weeks of age in order to meet the law and would have at least 3 distemper
shots under their belts.

Right after March 7th, the Pet Industry once again went in and tacked on an
amendment to the Budget Bill which was signed by Governor Weld.  Any
amendments on the Budget Bill get activated IMMEDIATELY, unlike others,
which usually take 90 days.  Our legislative session ends tonight July 31st
at midnight.

This amendment allows ferrets to be sold in pet stores at any age, without
vaccinations and would put the responsibility on the purchaser.

There are a few things we should know in regards to this new legislation.

BITES:

The way F&W and Public Health have handled bites in the past was to do a
risk assessment.  According to Dr. French, if the pet stores stock their
ferrets with "Marshall Farms" ferrets and if a MF ferret bites someone, then
in all likelyhood it will not be killed and tested.  If a ferret is not from
MF, then in all likelyhood, it will be killed.

But, if a MF ferret comes to a pet store, they will be only considered
rabies free for 8 days.  After 8 days, if a ferret bites, it will be
considered "at risk".

The F&W and Public Health officials have recommended to the pet stores that
not more than 5 ferrets be kept together at a time in the stores.  Also,
that the ferrets will not be kept with free access to the public and anyone
who wishes to handle a ferret will be supervised by a staff member.  Please
remember, this is what is recommended, it does not have to be complied with.
We have had incidences where ferrets have been housed some up to 50 in a
bin.  We had an incident recently where 13 were destroyed because they could
not determine which ferret had bitten someone.

The MAFF group has started a Rabies Quarantine Task Force here in MA.  We
are starting to do research on if we should pursue a quarantine period here.
We are looking for volunteers and also help from those of you who've been
through this before us.

If any of you who subscribe to the FML live in MA, are not part of our
group, please e-mail me and I'll add you to our e-mail list.

Sharon Burbine,
Mass Ferret Friends