From:
Alexandra Sargent-Colburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 2009 16:43:20 +0000
Dear Ferret Folks-

I recently added myself to Facebook at the request of a family member.
It was not something I had a burning desire to do, but if it made her
happy, OK.

My husband noticed that I was getting a lot of messages related to
Facebook and he started nosing around on my...page? Profile? I don't
do techno-speak very well. Sorry. Anyway, he started nosing around and
discovered that I had an enormous number of friends. At least, the
number seemed enormous to him, because I really am something of a lone
wolf. If I could do me over again, I would be more gregarious! I don't
like isolating but it seems to be my default setting. We are so often
the author of our own disappointments in life. But I digress....

(Deep metaphysical moment concluded.)

He stood over my shoulder as I managed my page on the computer and
voiced his astonishment. I said "Dann...look again."

"Huh?"

"Look *again*. Most of my friends on this site are ferrets."

He looked at the little thumbnail pictures and his eyes grew wide.

"You're right. Ferrets."

Yup, cyber-ferrets. Cyber ferrets with tiny little cowboy hats. With
cute names. Ferrets who double as the spokes weasels for shelters.
Witty ferrets. Sweet ferrets. Ferrets with no hoomin clothing on at
all. Ferrets sitting in the arms of their hoomin slaves. Ferrets
sitting atop people's heads. Scores of ferrets. Ferrets that have
passed on. Kits.

Dann asked "Where do they come from?"

I explained that I had no idea. Every morning there were more
friendship requests from cyber ferrets, often attached to hoomin
names that I do not recognize at all. As quickly as I add them to my
"friends" list, they are replaced by more. I am sure that I have been
cyber-infiltrated by the FLO. What next? Otters? Wolverines? I pray
that I do not get on the sea-cumber fanciers list. Sea cucumber is
the worst thing that I have ever eaten. Hag-fish looks pretty bad,
too, but I've never been served one. just in case you are curious:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagfish

I'm sure someone absolutely adores them. Wears hag-fish jewelry and
T-shirts. Has a stuffed hag-fish collection. And perhaps they feel
about ferrets the way I feel about hag-fish. To each his own.

It's not entirely clear to me how Facebook actually works. Are the
dozen or so non-ferret friends on the network that I am linked to
getting posts about how to administer prednisone without wearing it,
and how to divine deep mysteries from dookie? What do they think about
the little ferret in the black leather bicycle jacket? They have not
commented. Yet. I actually have a few friends that Facebook got me in
touch with, friends from back before my ferret days. People who have
noooo idea about me and mustellids. I imagine them scratching their
heads..."Prednisone? Do you go to rehab for that?"

Alexandra in MA

Caff-Pow: "Hag-fish! Looks like rubber. I like rubber!"
Todd: "Oh, man! That thing is uglier than Jean-Claude Van Damme!"