From:
Laura Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:22:22 -0700
Has anyone seen a ferret with this?

My Puck - four years old and normally very active and very healthy -
suddenly had diarrhea late Sunday night. I gave him chicken baby food
and the next day made up some duck soup. He wouldn't take it so I
started syringe-feeding it to him. His poops started to firm up but
by Tuesday evening he was very lethargic and I got him in to the vet
today.

By this morning around his ears and gums was very yellow so the vet
and I both thought his liver was going. Tests came back fine for his
liver - but his kidneys were absolutely horrible. He's now at the vets
on an IV to try to flush out the toxins.

The vet asked if he could have gotten into something toxic but I can't
think of anything. I've had ferrets for over 12 years so I'm very good
at ferret proofing. They are blocked access to my kitchen and bathroom
so there's no chemicals that he could have gotten into. I don't leave
anything out in the rest of the house that they can get into. He also
eats the same Blue Buffalo Wilderness that all my ferrets and cats eat
so it couldn't be tainted food because everyone else is fine.

Thoughts? And anyone that's gone through this - chance of recovery? I
have a feeling I'll be losing him which is so unexpected. Right now my
two eldest - Roxy and Sassy - have been on treatment for awhile for
Adrenal AND Insulinoma (Roxy) and Adrenal (Sassy). They're both doing
well on their meds but I certainly thought I'd lose one of them before
I lost one of my younger, healthier other three.