From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2005 14:45:45 -0400
Marguerite wrote:
>We don't hammer a food store to remove "all fatty foods" or all "high
>in carbohydrate" foods.

Those have their places, though.  They can be eaten by people in
moderation, and there simply are those who DO need these products --
sometimes form special health needs.

Meanwhile, with ferrets where there can be need for some to have more
protein like the 50th percentile range foods (insulinoma) or less but
certainly enough protein like the mid-30th percentile range foods
(cystine stones) UNTIL WE KNOW HOW MUCH THE RATES OF SUCH THINGS MAY
CHANGE IN RESPONSE TO DIET, and where some ferrets do best with high fat
and some with moderate fat levels it does make sense to keep a range of
those sorts of good foods available, but the junk that causes blockages
or is very high in sugar simply doesn't make sense.

I personally can see retaining a sugary supplement like Nutrical or
Nutristat because that has a place in disease treatment and occasional
treats.  I can't see something like Yogis or things chuck full of dried
fruits, seeds, or veggies like Fiesta, though.

The big thing to know is that each of these two indicated a need for
consumer feed-back, so these polite letters are helpful.  One because he
wanted to know what consumers will be buying since he wants to optimally
please them, and one because he knows that he needs to be able to present
a big stack of polite consumer letters to the business people to indicate
that he has the power of the public behind him for making healthful
changes.

This is such an opportunity to make the sorts of changes we all usually
can only grumble about needing.  It would be shame to not follow-up.
WE CAN DO THIS!