Date:
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 01:19:11 -0500
CA UPDATE 2/14

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO ALL CALIFORNIANS AND TO PAT WRIGHT OF FERRETS
ANONYMOUS.....

(Pat already knows this) Californians for Ferret Legalization will assume
the costs of defending Pat against the charges of illegal possession of a
wild animal!  So, now there are three fronts that DFG will have to address.
Pat's lawsuit covers the judicial arena because a judge will hear it and can
rule that the ferret is domesticated and set the whole department of Fish
and Game on it's ear (hopefully).  The lawsuit by Marshall Farms (though it
is also in front of a judge) is more in the administrative arena because it
is designed to compel the Fish and Game Commission (an administrative
branch) to do their job and have a hearing on whether the ferret is wild or
domesticated.  The statute reads that the following WILD animals are
prohibited.... AS DETERMINED BY THE COMMISSION.

In addition, we have our ferret legalization bill, sponsored by Californians
for Ferret Legalization (that's all of you by the way, FA, Golden State
Ferret Society, CDFA and LOS and the hundreds of thousands of people not
affiliated with any group) and authored by Jan Goldsmith.  Wow!!  DFG has
often complained about lack of funds, lack of time, now what are they going
to do?

The attorneys in Los Angeles are in the process of doing a great job of
discovery regarding Commission and Department actions on the ferret issue in
the past.  They've literally asked for every document, every letter, every
file, everything the department has on ferrets!  They'll get to see it all,
and it should be very interesting.  Not only does this take time on behalf
of DFG, but I was told by the Attorneys, that DFG pays for it, not the AG's
office.  So, it costs them time and money.  Hopefully they will soon realize
that it is time to let go of an issue that does not merit this kind of
expenditure.  When ferrets are legalized, they'll save hundreds of thousands
of dollars, maybe even millions!

In the meantime, THE WANTED POSTERS ARE IN!  Californians, this is your
opportunity to spread the word.  These posters are 8.5"x11" and ask for the
public's participation.  All you have to do is to fill in the name, address,
and telephone number of your local representative, photocopy the form, and
distribute it to your local pet stores, veterinary offices, businesses,
schools, etc.

Please send me your name and address if you're willing to get it into the
public arena.  If you can help with some of our costs in photo-copying,
mailing, or the litigation, please send a contribution.  We have to go back
on press with the posters soon because we're almost out.

Thanks for all your support.  Let's give 110% to get this done this year.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization
http://www.
ccnet.com/~beisners/gsfs/lobby.html
CALIFORNIANS, YOU CAN FIND OUT YOUR ASSEMBLYMEMBER AND STATE SENATOR BY
VISITING THIS SITE!! IT'S TIME TO CALL AND WRITE THEM TO CO-AUTHOR THE FERRET
BILL, SO ACT NOW!