Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 13:42:32 -0500
Hello FMLers,

Great job by Scott, CFL webmaster, of putting the ferret issue on the
airwaves in San Francisco.  That's the kind of effort that our author wants
to see all over the state.  In fact, starting in about one week or so, he
has asked that my father and I represent this issue in front of the
editorial boards at major newspapers.  His office will be making the
appointments, and we'll hopefully be given the time to get this issue more
of the positive attention it deserves.

Which brings me to another point, and this is the last time I'll spend my
valuable time on any comments from this quarter.  When I called our author's
office to say that I was resigning from the CDFA board of directors, but
would still be available (in any way) to help with legalization in
California should they want that help, it was made clear to me that they did
want my involvement to continue.  Being asked to represent this issue to the
media is an assignment not given, or taken, lightly.

I also didn't take it lightly when I was asked to represent this issue at
all four legislative hearings.  Perhaps Killian doesn't know that the
authors, Senator Kopp and Jan Goldsmith, made those choices, not me.  A
similar level of confidence was also expressed by the California Veterinary
Medical Association:

"Jeanne Carley has been very important to the California Veterinary Medical
Association in our effort to legalize the domesticated ferret.  Her
knowledge of the ferret isue has been invaluable to draw upon at our
meetings with the State Legislature and with the regulatory agencies."

Dr. Dick Schumacher, Executive Director, CVMA

Killian doesn't know the motivations of our authors' offices in making these
choices.  He does'nt know anything but what he's heard second, or third
hand, or chooses to invent.  If he's concerned about my representation of
this issue, he can call our authors offices directly to see if they'd prefer
to work with someone else.  Heck, make a recommendation even!

I also don't know what CDFA actions Killian's referring to, but the level of
my activity, whether I represent this issue in Committee or to the media,
who sponsors the bill (CFL is the sponsor of the ferret legalization bill)
are decisions that the authors and lobbyists make, not me, not CDFA.  I've
been asked to accompany the lobbyists in visiting members of the
Legislature, but I am hoping I don't have to testify (I don't enjoy
testifying).  If I am asked though, I will.

By the way, anytime I can get off this ferretwheel and spend a my time, my
nights and weekends, on something other than ferret legalization (whether
its the day ferrets are legalized, or the welcomed day another takes my
place), I'll break open the best bottle of California Chardonnay I can find
and toast the event.  Of course, if my legalization work is over because
ferrets and their owners have earned the protections they deserve, I'll
break open a couple of bottles!

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization
410 Mountain Home Road  Woodside, CA  94062
http://www. ccnet.com/~beisners/gsfs/lobby.html
CA!LIFORNIANS, YOU CAN FIND OUT YOUR ASSEMBLYMEMBER AND STATE SENATOR BY
VISITING THIS SITE!! IT'S TIME TO CALL AND WRITE THEM TO CO-AUTHOR THE
FERRET BILL, SO ACT NOW!