From:
Adrienne Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 10:46:37 -0400
That has got to be the craziest thing I have ever heard!  Rikki & Nikita
both had mites as kits, and the vet prescribed Tresaderm , 2 drops, 2-3
times a day for a week.  I called Dr. Hartman, and he said that some vets do
clean the ears in the way she mentioned, but he does not feel it is
necessary.  His comment to me was, once you get rid of the mites using the
medication, the infection & wax will clear up on their own.  After
treatment, you might take a Q-tip and lightly swab the ears.  Tresaderm is
good because it isn't toxic, although it was not originally intended for
mites, it does a great job of clearing them up.  You need to massage the
drops into the ear for it to work.  He also mentioned that if that is the
going rate in your area, he might consider relocating.  <g> Other vets
perscribe Ivermecterm (sp?).

When Dr Hartman treated Rikki & Nikita, the mites were gone forever after
the first two or three days!  It was a simple two drops in the ears.  That's
it.  I think we paid at the most $20 for the office visit and meds.  I'd
talk to another vet.

I don't live in your area, but hopefully someone on the list can recommend a
good ferret vet around where you live.  Open the phone book and start
calling around.  Ask them how many ferret patients they have, and how would
they rate their expertise with ferrets.  Most good vets will not mind
answering your questions.

A home remedy for mites that I have not personally tried, but my uncle has
used, is Baby lotion.  Apperantly, if you apply a small amount of baby
lotion to the ears, the mites will "drown" in the stuff.

Good Luck!

Adrienne