From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 13:48:32 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Paul Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: More health advice needed for our insulinoma guy on Prednisone

The dose of Prednisone and Proglycem should be adjusted to minimize the
symptoms.  Have the vet take anothe blood sugar and see if it is still low.
If it is, try increasing the dosages and monitor the results.

>From:    Ela Heyn <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Question on ferret teeth
>I have a question on teeth, and would be most grateful for any input
>anybody might have.

My personal opinion is that ferrets have teeth that naturally discolor as
they age.  It may be a function of soft dental enamel?  Broken fang tips are
very, very common and do not pose a problem.  Ferrets do have a tendency to
develop dental tartar and regular oral hygiene is a must.  I usually
recommend brushing so I have no experience with making the Nolvadent more
palatable.

>From:    Norma-ann Mooney <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Mighty (expensive) MITES-- Help please.
>I just had Leo and Emmy (dawg) into the Vet's for their annual shots today.
>This is the first time i've been to this Vet.  (i need a new Vet.  up here

Seems a bit aggressive for a first occurrence ear infection.  Let me put in
my 2 cents worth on where this vet is coming from first.  The cleaner the
ear canal is, the more easy it is to clear up an ear infection (due to
mites, yeast, bacteria).  The optimum way to clean an ear is under
anesthesia so you have a non- moving object to work on.  If the ear canal is
plugged, it may be needed first.

Yes, I have anesthesized chronic ear infection dogs to give their ears a
thorough cleaning and flushing but it does not happen a lot.  My
recommendation is to have an ear cytology done.  Figure out if it is mites
(or yeast or bacteria) that is causing the problem.  Pick an appropriate
medication along with an ear cleaning solution and try unanesthesized first.
Flush and clean the ears first.  Do not go into the ear canal with the q-tip
but clean what you can see and gently massage out the deeper lying material
to the surfcae.  Once clean, use the medicated ear drops for the appropriate
length of time.

>From:    DaKaren <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Petshop vaccinations

If you cannot get documentation (especially for the rabies), I would
consider having him vaccinated.  Ferrets do have a higher rate of vaccine
reactions compared to dogs and cats and that is the down side to
re-vaccinating.  I find that the vaccine reaction rate is lower for young
ferrets, probably due to less sensitization to vaccines.

>From:    George <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fredonia and Vaccine quest.
>Ummm... why doesn't someone call the A.S.P.C.A. or something?  They don't

See above.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH