From:
Josephine Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 16:37:55 PST
Hi!  Well, this morning i came down and noticed that Truls had not touched
his food all night long, i grinded it and mixed with water and Nutrical,
and tried to syringe feed it to him, he totally refused to eat so i had to
scruff him and thats when i saw he was also dehydrated, i did see him drink
the night before, but we were off to the Vet,They did a fecal exam, and an
x-ray ( i don't dear force feed if there could be an obstruction) everything
came back OK, no fever, no parasites, but he has lost some more weight
since his last visit 2 weeks ago, he is now down to 1.110 from then 1.250,

The Vet gave me some panmycin (tetracycline) to give twize a day, and a
coupple of cans of a/d prescription diet, also suggested pedialite, (done)
he told me to feed 2cc's of a/d and 5cc's of pedialite every 4 -6 hours,
But he didn't know what was causing the diahrrea.

when i got home and read my mail, it was suggested it could be ECE, that
seems very likely, i have seen some green slimy poops, with Liza, but
stupid here thought it was stress, after adopting Lucky..... I should have
known!  i've been reading lots of stuff about ECE, but somehow the seedy
diahrrea described as a symptom went un noticed by me.  so i'd like to ask
you all for advice on the amount i should be feeding him, i have no clue as
to how much a cc really is, according to the vet, on a syringe scaled to
five (as i have) 1cc is to the number one line.  so 2 cc's is of course to
the number 2 line, but as i read on the faq, the info on ECE, it was
suggested to feed at least 20- 30 cc's per meal!  which is said to be
approx, 2 tablespoons, can someone help me understand this?  i will try and
get him to eat about 2 tablespoons of a/d, per meal which according to my
syringe would be to the number 4 line.  is that good for each feeding?

Liza seems to be OK, she eats on her own, but i will give her some a/d as
well, it coul'nt hurt if she too would put on some weight, and i've mixed
their water with pedialite, and they seem to like that, there is also one
bottle of unmixed water.

so now i am off to feed my tired and dehydrated little guy a second meal of
today.

Thank You all, for the advice, and suggestions, i guess i'll be tied up
here for a while, i will forward the info on ECE to my Vet, and i will buy
a scale, so i can keep track of their weight, over the next weeks/months
untill they are back to normal, i think Truls was at least 2 pounds before
all this, with surgery and such.

Hope You all have a Wonderful remaining of the holidays, and an Even Better
New Year!!

Josephine and the messy crew, who like to paint corners only....