From:
Ulrike Hassold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 22:04:43 +0100
Hi everybody

A month ago my ferret Jilly was diagnosed with Insulinoma.  She's been on
pred since then and eats a mush of ground ferret food/ Hill's A/D, brewer's
yeast and water.  In the last 2 weeks she went from 700 grams to 1kg.

Last night I noticed her lymph glands were enlarged so today I took her to
the vets, I wasn't sure if it was fat on the lymph glands that made them
feel big or whether they were enlarged.  The vet said the 2 glands on the
neck were pretty much enlarged, today I could feel them easily when I
stroked Jilly's neck and could see them just looking at the neck.  The 2
glands in the groin area were also enlarged, the vet said that you're not
supposed to be able to feel them in a ferret.  Is that right?  The vet put
Jilly on antibiotics (Baytril) in case her lymph glands are swollen because
of an infection.  But she does think that it is Lymphoma and says that
Jilly would have an aggressive form of Lymphoma that spreads all over the
body and to all other organs and suddenly makes her deteriorate and she
gave Jilly from a month to maybe 6 months... So you all can imagine I'm not
feeling all that happy at the moment... I thought that maybe I could have
another 1-2 years with Jilly and now that time has been cut much, much
shorter.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there is anything else I can do for Jilly
or give her that might make her live longer or slow the Lymphoma down a
little?  Like any (herbal) supplements or other drugs?  She is on 1/2mg of
pred.

Any answers are appreciated a lot.

Best wishes to everybody and their fuzzies from
Ulrike
and fur kids Jilly, Jack, Igor, Bella, Tom, Mason, Baby, Dana, Fox and Reno

      Missing Angel
      West Wales Ferret Welfare
      NFWS area co-ordinator for West Wales
      http://www.ferretlove.freeserve.co.uk/