From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:51:46 -0500
Katherine wrote:

>I am disturbed with statements that is it now considered "okay" to
>relocate unvaccinated and untested ferrets based on the Ohio rescue.
>That rescue was unprecedented and I think everyone agrees now that
>they should have been vetted prior to leaving the holding facility.
>The risk of spreading disease all over the country was great and it
>could have been catastrophic to the ferret population. Fortunately,
>it seemed to work out okay, but the results could have been far
>different.

and she is right.

We all know of shelters and homes which have found that they had a
very nasty surprise come in with an animal.

Those who have been here long enough will recall a coccidia mutant
which began at one location on Long Island from which ferrets were
transported to a few NE locations. It was one that not all got, but
every ferret who did get it died. Luckily, the places which got it
imposed quarantines while Dr. Bruce Williams figured out what was
causing those ferrets to suddenly bleed out and die. The mutant died
off from lack of victims because people responded in logical and
responsible, loving ways.

Now, that one could not be tested for or vaccinated against beforehand,
but the diseases which can be tested for or vaccinated against are no
less horrible, and some are worse in terms of what the ferrets and
people suffer.

More recently, we all saw the map of where heartworm is in the U.S.
suddenly expand because animals, especially dogs, were transported
widely after Hurricane Katrina without IDEXX Snap Tests done beforehand
during the earliest part of the rescue efforts.

When ECE first began in the ferret community the spread was largely at
shows.

Transporting individuals has always increased the risk of epidemics
and epizooics (epidemics among animals). The avian influenza of the
19-teens was greatly spread because of the travel required by WWI. The
Armies of the Khan brought the Black Plague to Europe. Cutting roads
into previously remote areas of Africa brought out AIDS and Ebola. The
Armies of Europe killed millions and very possibly tens of millions
of Americans because of bringing diseases like smallpox during the
conquering of the Americans just a few centuries ago. Transportation is
a known risk factor, so it just makes sense to do it as carefully as is
logically and financially possible. If vaccinations or testing can't be
done for reasons of time or money in any rescue of any size then the
people transporting and housing the ferrets need to know that up front
so that they can choose their own added precautions as they make the
rescue a reality.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: