From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 10:46:29 -0500
WARNING!  When giving any medication watch your ferret for at least 1 hour
aftewards.....

Late last night I gave Gizzie his first dose of Lysodren and not 10 minutes
later he had the red ferret allergic reaction.  I am so thankful that Gizzie
came to me (as they all do when they are sick - it really is amazing).  He
walked in to the room, looked at me then flat ferreted.  I noticed right
away his nose was pinker than usual.  By the time I picked him up (30
seconds maybe) his nose, gums, and paw pads were bright red!  I grabbed the
Benadryl and gave him 1/2 cc, grabbed the Dex/Atarrax and sat it on the tray
beside me (injectable but only if the reactions cause severe breathing
difficulties - to be injected in the thigh muscle) and called the emergency
vet number.  I explained to Travis what happened and what I'd already done
and that Gizzie was breathing o.k.  Travis said to watch him closely for an
hour and he should be fine.  Boy did I watch him closely.  The hour went
very quickly (you'd think staring at and petting a ferret for an hour would
seem to be a long time) and Gizzie JUMPED up and scratch, scratch,
scratched.  I knew he was o.k.  then.  He was bright eyed and even played a
little.

This was Gizzie's first dose of Lysodren.  Rule is that they have to be
exposed to something at least one other time before they can have a
reaction.  The Lysodren is cut with lactose - couldn't be that as Gizzie
gets goats milk daily with no reaction.  Perhaps the base of the Lysodren.

Moral - Watch for reactions on all medications, including first
doses.

Hugs to all. tle