From:
"Charlene M Lowe (Charlene Lowe)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 11:01:29 -0600
Hello Ferret McDuff.  I do have a copy of the Mpls ordinance.  It is true -
there is nothing that says "ferrets are not allowed" but rather "wild
animals are not allowed - unless in transit through the city".  What I have
been told by Animal Control (AC) is that all written down is simply a
guideline, the officer on duty has discretion to override any text.  They
also say "wild" is not defined at all but rather also is up to discretion of
officer on duty who takes into consideration whether an animal *would bite*
or *would be* vicious.  (And I agree with you - NO basis in fact!) In
c.1991-2 ferret was confiscated in Mpls for nipping (the skin was not
broken).  I was not involved at all just saw it on the TV News - not sure
how factual reporting was...  The owner willingly gave animal to AC to
quarantine cause she knew ferret didn't have rabies & would pass the
quarantine w/flying colors.  THen, when she handed him over, the officer on
duty said "ferrets are wild, kill it".  She went to court over this & the
ferret was put down anyways - not cause he was rabid, not cause he bit
someone, but because "ferrets are wild" according to that particular AC
officer.  In talking to pet store owners in Mpls all say that they can't
sell ferrets, it is illegal to sell ferrets in Mpls.  One pet store got
turned-in to AC by a competing pet store cause they had a ferret on the
premises.  AC came to confiscate the ferret, but it wasn't there at the time
(it was a pet not merchandise) but were still issued a ticket (no evidence
except the word of a competitor - huh???).  The Humane Society that serves
Mpls (Hennepin Cnty HS) euthanizes ferrets upon receipt, they say because
law requires them to (I know this could perhaps not be true because...  well
we all have our own opinions about HS's).  Ferret supplies are not sold
anywhere in Mpls.  Pet stores in Mpls just seem petrified to attract any
attn re: ferrets.  A few blocks away, in Richfield, stores are loaded
w/ferret stuff, they sell ferrets too, etc...  So these things make me
believe that Mpls is an FFZ.  Perhaps it is not *exactly* worded that way in
the books.  But the mentality of AC here in Mpls suggest that a ferret is at
a purty-good risk of being confiscated & killed.  Even the shelter that
adopted me a ferret didn't want to drive to my house in the broad daylight.
They delivered without a cage or anything so as not to attract attention.
This was their idea.  Two tickets successfully challenged - that's great!
So, say you are walking down the street with your ferrets, minding your own
business (heh-heh-heh pardon the pun)...  Does one get a ticket - like a
parking ticket, as in "a fine to pay and a warning to rectify their ways"?
Or does the ferret get confiscated?  Or does a ticket only get issued if
your ferrets bite someone?  Any info on those two cases that were challenged
and ruled favorably upon would be really appreciated.  Were they *your*
tickets????  What are the steps for challenging the tickets?  Why does Mpls
want us to believe ferrets are illegal - if not?  and last but not least and
certainly not related - I don't get it, Gary - why doyou spell Calif with a
"K"??  Charlene