From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:38:56 +0800
>From:    Jacqueline Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Ferrets & Aids
>For an HIV positive person, the descent into illness and the knowledge of
>impending death is a terribly stressful time for that person, as well as
>those around him.  In time, this ferret breeder will become too sick to
>care for his ferrets.  He is unlikely to realize, for a time, that he
>isn't able to care for them any longer, and during that period the ferrets
>will probably be exposed to some degree of neglect.  For example, there
>may be jills that haven't been bred in too long.  Or the breeder may have
>had to cut down on expenses (AIDS is horribly expensive) and the ferrets
>may have had a poor diet.  They'll need rehabilitation, new homes, and may
>need medical care.  This is where you may be able to perform a considerable
>humanitarian service, to the ferrets and to the breeder.

Thanks for the comments.  Unfortunately this breeder breeds the jills
several times a year, does not vaccinate the kits, and has "accidentally"
inbred siblings.  I think the breeder will hang to the ferrets as long as
possible as it is a "money maker".  Ha ha - we all know this is false.

>From:    Andy Coghill <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets and HIV/AIDS
>I'd say the greater danger is in the ferrets transmitting diseases to him!
>Litter box time can be a deadly venture for a person with full-blown AIDS.

Thanks Andy.  This part didn't even sink in until you mentioned it.  Are
you referring to Toxoplasmosis or something else?  Bacterial infections?
E.coli?

>From:    "Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets and HIV
>The lentiviruses that cause HIV in humans do not infect ferrets.  It is
>even very difficult to infect apes, our closest animal relatives with the
>HIV virus.  Ferret lymphocytes do not possess the specific receptors which
>would allow the HIV virus to enter the cell, and even if they did, it is
>unlikely that they would be able to replicate.  I don't think that there
>is anything to worry about here - I would have no problem handling ferrets
>raised by an HIV+ individual.

Thanks so much, Dr. Williams.  I really respect your opinions.  Can you
direct me to any studies of HIV/AIDS in ferrets that have been published?
Others in my area are concerned with this issue as well.  If I had a
published paper to refer them to it will help a lot.

[FY]