From:
Meghan Bonikowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 21:47:16 -0800
Hi all!

How's everyone?  Well, things are kinda crazy here.  First of all, thank
you, everyone who wrote me about the health concern (last post).  I am
going to put them in separate cages and figure out who is doing what.  I
will call the vet, too.  The good thing is, the green poop is not, repeat
not, neon green, which is why I didn't think it was ECE.  It looks black
till I go to get it off the litter pan, or bottom of cage and find out it
smears green.  Doesn't look like anyone has diarrhea or anything either,
just a little loose stools, which could be from new food and/or stress.

Dean and Martin are more or less getting along pretty well.  But when I
went to let them out today, I found a lot of poop in the cage, on more than
one level, on the hammock, the blankets..  Then Dean used my shirt that was
on the floor as toilet paper..  <sigh!> I guess that can be theirs now.

I need some help with re-modeling the cage, though.  The cage is 3 levels:
one is a metal pan, then a little ladder, then a half level, and another
ladder, then a whole level again.  The ceiling opens up at the top and
there is a door on the front of the bottom level too.  It's like 2 feet by
2 feet.  It is made out of metal (I think galvanized) wire.  The thing is,
the last time I tried using linoleum, Martin tried to eat it.  So I tried
having blankets on the wire floor, and they move them and drag them into
the litterpan.  So, here's the deal-- What can I put on the middle half
level and the top level so that it can be removed easily for cleaning and
if they go potty on it, it won't sink to the lower level.  Is there any
kind of plastic I can use?  How would it attach?

I got a plastic thing for the door and it attached pretty well and so far
the carpet runner has seemed to do the trick as far as deterring digging.
Thanks for the advice on that, too, those who wrote me.  I do appreciate
it.  It being finals week and all, please forgive me for not having time to
write each of you individually.

Well, I want this to go through tonight, so I am just going to send it.  If
I think of anything else, (and I'm sure I will, hehe), I'll post it later.
Thanks everyone!  You are all really helpful and informative!  Take care!

--Meghan
Dean & Martin

P.S. Dean comes to his name (rhymes with the old name, BEANie Bear).  He
also comes to a squeak toy, so that's helpful!