From:
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 20:10:54 -0700
>From:    Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: More on breeder operation
>Several people commented on cruelty laws.  Mr Friend isn't being
>intentionally cruel and from what I could see and from the ferrets reactions
>he doesn't intentionally abuse them.  WE know ferrets for what they are -
>loving, wonderful companions - Mr. Friend has never been exposed to that
>aspect of ferrets.  But guess what - he's learning!

This brings up the point I've tried to make many times.  Before we attack
folks for ignorance lets try to educate them.  Of course it sounds like this
gentleman was doing things "wrong" but we'll get farther co-operating than
rallying an angry ugly mob.

Something though we all need to remember about ferrets living outdoors.
Ferrets and/or polecats have existed for what millions of years?  Ferrets
have been domesticated for thousands.  They've moved indoors as pets only in
the last twenty or thirty years.  Although we keep our ferrets indoors as
does nearly everybody on the list, ferrets wouldn't be around today if they
couldn't survive outdoors.  Some winters are harsher than others and some
might not survive if not given enough shelter and bedding.  Also not
everywhere has the same climate as Northern Europe either so their are
mitigating factors.  It gets too warm in the summer's here for example.

Pay careful attention to all Troy Lynn is saying about these now to be
retired breeders.  It was a different life than a house-ferret's.  They will
act differently for a while - but I have never met a truly bad ferret, only
improperly trained ones.

Very good work Troy Lynn.  We've already talked to you off line....

>From:    Tracy Tunnison <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Dinosaur ferrets

Sounds like folks have been talking to Chrissy Denayer and her Prehistoric
Ferrets.  She names all of her ferrets after dinosaurs or other prehistoric
creatures.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/