From:
"Hosea E. Maggard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 02:02:53 +0000
>WHY DOESN'T SOMEONE CALL THE HUMANE SOCIETY on this jerk?

I don't know about humane societies in other state but here in Fresno,
California they would take the ferrets away from him and put them all to
sleep.  I don't mean because they are ferrets and this is California, they
would put any animal down that was not suitable as a pet.

One of our neighbors moved this spring and left 13 cats behind, 3 of which
were pregnate and most of them were wild.  This neighbor never had any of
his cats spayed and certainly never took good care of them.  Basically when
he moved he left them there to die.  I don't think any animal deserves this
kind of treatment.  So I called the S.P.C.A. and told them what had happened
and offered to give them this guys new address, thinking that they would do
something about it, after all, this was definitely cruelty to animals.  The
person at the S.P.C.A. informed me that nobody really owns a cat, it is a
free spirit and therefore they could not do anything about the whole
situation.  I asked her if they were at least going to come over and pick up
the cats and she told me that they could rent me a cat trap for $35.00 a day
and when I caught the cats then I could turn them in to them.  YA, Right!
Then I asked her what they would do with the cats if I did turn them in, and
she told me that the pregnate cats would all be put down, because they did
not need anymore kittens.  The wild ones would be put down, because they
were not going to be able to adopt them out.  That would have left one cat
that they would actually try to adopt out.  One out of thirteen.

I kept all the cats, the pregnate ones had their kittens and we proceeded to
find homes for most of them.  We did keep a few.

So in conclusion, if the Humane Society is anything like what we have here,
they are going to label these ferrets in Fredonia UNADOPTABLE and destroy
the whole lot of them.  Now what good would that do.  I don't think any
animal should be destroyed just because people at the Humane Society don't
have time or patience to try and tame them.

Thanks for listening,

Ilona, Ferretless in California