From:
Jeanine Pesce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 02:22:41 EDT
I am at my wits end with a 10 month old neutered male ferret who keeps
biting me for no apparent reason!  I have studied him in depth and will
give a brief synopsis.

Benjamin was purchased from a pet store at 10 weeks and is a Marshall ferret
(I know, I know).  He was a normal kit, but he bit hard.  We ALWAYS punish
him when he bites us by scruffing him and flicking his nose.  Now its to the
point where it seems he bites for no reason.  He doesn't bite when we play,
he doesn't bite when I scare him (on accident of course), he doesn't bite
for attention (he gets more than he wants).

Basically he nips and runs at any time he deems worthy.  I will be sitting
on the couch or floor and he walks right up to me bites me and then
runs-like he knows he will be punished for doing it!  He has even stood up
and bit my bottom when I was on the toilet!

Please help me.  I love this ferret dearly, he is just the cutest thing on
the face of the earth, but its to the point where I have to lock him up when
company comes because it is guaranteed he will bite them!  He is better
around me because I handle him more often, but he is always attacking my
boyfriend, who is now scared to death of him.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.  I know he can unlearn this if I
could figure out why he does it.  He has improved lately because I have
been giving him extra attention and not giving him the chance to sneak up
and nip me, but he still does it to everyone else.

Jeanine