From:
Wooddell/Drysdale Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 13:33:54 -0400
Please advise:
Our first ferret, Meiko, swallowed a chunk of carrot over a week ago.  We
did not know at the time, and have perused many books, magazines and
manuals, about carrot taboo.  Anyway, Meiko got it stuck in her throat and
while gagging and in stress, eventually got most of it down her throat.  Our
biggest concern at the time was simply her ability to breathe.  Once that
was restored we thought everything was okay.  However, over next day and a
half it became apparent that Meiko was not eating and was losing weight
rapidly.  She would occasionally hack up some white foamy stuff, too.

We got hold of our local ferret rescue person who helped us regularly over
next few days by administering subcutaneous fluids, "pred" to stimulate her
appetite, and carafate to coat her throat and stomach.  At the time we did
not know about the carrot and thought she had gagged on a corner of a Chew
Weasel.  It took a few days of this intensive regime: the sub-Q-ing, meds,
and feeding by syringe, etc., before Meiko actually hacked up recognizable
chunks of carrot and solved the puzzle for us.  She also began passing small
but fairly normal stools with a distinctive orange tint.  She still was not
eating on her own, although with the aforementioned regime she was restored
from a near fatal 3/4 lb.  back up to 1 1/4 or more, fluctuating.

She still occasionally hacks up the frothy stuff and grinds her teeth in a
horrible way, but she seems to want to eat, just will not do much on her
own.  She will nibble Nutri-Cal off my fingers, however.  We did check in
with a vet who began talking exploratory surgery for possible blockages
before even weighing her or taking a temp.  We decided to wait on that
option as Meiko seemed to be doing considerably better after the sub-Q
routine.  He prescribed Vetasyl fiber capsules (we put a half cap in each
bowl of food we mix, or occasionally mix with Nutri-Cal to be licked up).

It is over ten days, now, however, and we stopped the sub-Q fluids last
Wednesday.  But since yesterday, Meiko has seemed lethargic again, grinding
and hacking foam a few times.  We have tried to wean her to eat the
specially prepared "gruel" from her dish, but she hasn't touched it in
almost two days.  We have her water bowls filled with Pedialyte, though she
dips into it sparingly.  The gruel we have been making, after we shifted
off of chicken and turkey baby foods, consists of A-D, Ensure, vitamin C,
Vetasyl, Pedialyte and some finely ground dry ferret food.

We originally separated Meiko from her companion Jimmy, but then put him
into the "sick" cage with her for a little cuddling.  He began lapping up
all the Pedialyte and gruel, however, and gave himself a case of diarrhea so
we had to separate them again.  Meiko's temporary cage is within visibility
of all household activities.  She can see Jimmy, the dogs, and everybody
going about their business.  She gets cuddled and talked to, encouraged and
loved.  What else can we do?

Frightened,
Rhea Drysdale (15) -- Meiko's "mommy"
Kathleen  & Jeff Wooddell -- Rhea's parents
Jacksonville, FL
904-396-6157

[Moderator's note: This was sent to me, perhaps in error.  I spoke to
Kathleen and received her permision to post this.  I also gave her my
opinion on it all, of course.  She welcomes others, but note that she
is not currently subscribed to the FML.  BIG]