From:
"Christopher J. Galas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 22:04:25 -0500
My Greycin, the youngest of three, has become extremely ill all of a
sudden.  He is eating and drinking but doesn't seem to have any energy to
do anything else.  If I pick him up he tenses up like he is in pain or
afraid I am going to drop him.  This all started last Sunday when he tired
quickly and was the first in bed.  On most normal nights I can't get him to
settle down.  Since Sunday he has gotten progressively worse to the point
where he will no longer travel down the ramp to the litterpan.  He is in a
three level cage and remains on the top level where he will switch from a
hanging hammock to a sweatshirt on the shelf.  From what I can tell the
only other movement is to eat, drink or go to the bathroom.  When I noticed
him having difficulty walking I had my roommate take him to the vet Tuesday
morning.  She found he had a temperature, I'm not sure how high, and felt
he exhibited signs of a virus.  She sent him home with some antibiotics and
told us to bring him back if he did not get better by the end of the week.
Well Greycin will be heading back to the vet tomorrow for some blood tests
and overnight observation.  If anyone has any ideas what this could be I
would greatly appreciate advice.  I have the utmost faith in our vet but we
could all use some help at times.  We live in Omaha, NE so if anyone has a
referral for a vet that may specialize in ferrets it would be greatly
appreciated.

Please e-mail me directly at [log in to unmask]