From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 07:20:14 -0700
Hmm.  Strange.  I haven't read the FML from two days ago, so I suppose it
may say it there, but otherwise I am quite sure that Jennifer was not
suggesting just handing money to any old shelter, especially if you had no
info on that shelter.  Most of us know of at least one shelter, whether it
be close by, one that a friend has dealt with, one which comes recommended
by the Humane Society or SPCA, etc. who is worthy of a donation such as
Jennifer suggested.  If you don't, IMHO you should!  If there is a shelter
in your STATE, let alone in your city, you should know about it.  It is
called being informed about the services and rescources available to you as
a pet owner.  And most ferret shelters are excellent rescources.  Ones that
shouldn't be overlooked.  So, if you have done your homework as to the
rescources available to you, you should know of at least one shelter worthy
of donating money to.  Also, I don't know which of the two shelters Jen
mentioned that the poster (whom I will call wormhole, as per the email
address, since the post wasn't signed,) questions, but having had personal
experience with KiSta, I would also highly recommend it!  I have never had
any contact with PA Ferret Rescue, but obviously Jen has, and thinks well
enough of it that she recommends it.  That in itself is something, but
again, do your research, and then make a choice as to which shelters you
believe are worthy of donations.  Be in contact with them, and if you live
too far away to actually visit the shelter, ask for references.  I don't
know of any respectable shelter operator who would be offended by such a
request.  (The ones who aren't respectable might though, so thats a good
tip off.) So, Jen has a great idea.  I haven't chosen who to donate too
yet, as the shelter I was going to donate too, the only shelter in Nebraska
that I knew of, closed due to shelter-momma going to vet school.  If I like
the other semi-local shelter, which is actually in Iowa, then I will be
donating to them.  (I figure, whichever shelter I am most likely to adopt
from should be the first to get my money....) Otherwise, KiSta will be
getting $10.00 from me.  I'm going to tack on another little challenge to
Jen's.  If you don't already have a shelter in mind to donate too, do some
research.  The FML Shelter List is a fantastic rescource.  Find the
shelters in your state.  If you don't see a shelter listed in your state,
ask someone.  It may not be listed on the shelter list.  And here is
another great rescource, provided by Pam Troutman of STAR Ferrets.  (Pam, I
hope its OK to use your quote.)

 "For a free listing of ferret shelters, contacts, vets, supplies, clubs,
  etc., in your state, send a LONG self addressed stamped envelope to:

 STAR* Ferrets
 PO Box 1832
 Springfield, VA 22151-0832.

Do your homework, find the shelters in your area, get to know them, help
out.  That is what Jen's challenge is all about!  And as I said, if you
don't know a shelter to donate too, find one.  Get involved.

Melissa and the Weasel Squad
www.geocities.com/lostferrets
www.geocities.com/lothruin