From:
Julie Dowdy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 02:26:03 -0500
Hi Danielle,

I've missed much of the debate about MF, PETA and the ALF but have been
around long enough to know what it's about and that it's always the same.

I just wanted you to know from me why I, as a ferret person, dislike the
PETA organization in regards to ferrets.

Ingrid Newkirk, the founder of PETA I believe, wrote a column about two
years ago for JANE magazine.  This is a nationally distributed magazine.
She was doing a Question/Answer page on pets.  A girl wrote in asking if
ferrets were good pets.

I will never forget her responses.  While I can't quote them 100%, I can
tell you what she said.

 Ferrets make lousy pets because:
   - they will crawl into the walls where you can't get at them
     and cause damage and escape.
   - they are a RABIES risk and not to be trusted around young
     children, and that if one should ever bite you, you better
     run to the nearest ER for a series of rabies shots.
   - they're exotic animals and not meant to be pets.

JANE magazine neither fact checked this, and when I posted the exact
quote to the FML, a ton of people wrote into the magazine.  Instead of
doing the RIGHT thing and printing some sort of correction in the magazine
at a later date, the magazine called us "ferret freaks" and dismissed it
at that.

Ingrid Newkirk did uncalculated damage with that response.  For such a
powerful woman, she is probably the most ignorant woman I've ever come
across.  Now, if the founder of PETA can't be bothered to check facts and
make a rational statement in a national magazine, why would I trust anyone
below her?

And, yes, I also held JANE responsible.  Their dismissal of us as freaks
did as much damage as Ingrid's ignorant comments.  I canceled my
subscription immediately.

So, for some of us, there are rational, factual reasons we don't trust
these organizations.

Julie