From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 02:07:01 -0700
This weekend, a friend drove Gloria and I up to Montana to visit some
friends and get us away from the shelter for a much needed break.  since
getting out of the hospital, we have all going at a breakneck pace 12-18
hrs a day, 7 days a week forever it seems.

While up there, I checked out all the pet stores in Billings and Great
Falls.  All were unsat and thankfully, most were receptive to change in
the way they keep their fuzzies.  Petco on the other hand did their usual
arrogant attitude thing and didn't want to hear it.  I guess I should quit
talking to the store personel and just go straight to HQ in San Diego.
Every time I write to them, I get a response.  The ferrets were in an
octagonal shaped, non ventilated enclosure with lights in it.  No vent
anywhere.  The food had kibble, broccoli, carrots, and french fries, plus
wood shavings, and the water bowl was full of yucky water and had wood
shavings in it.  No water bottle.  The cage appeared to be clean so they
are making some effort to care care for the ferrets, they are just lacking
inthat most powerful tool of all....knowledge!

We were out of range for the cell phone so we called every day by land line
to make sure there were no problems at the shelter.  A few surrenders, no
adoptions, which is unusual for us as we usually do a few adoptions even
on a slow weekend.  I guess everyone was out of town or something.

We headed back to Colorado this am and got into roaming range on the cell
phone only to find out the crew was facing one crisis after another.
Three surrenders in a row, a pair and two singles came in, all in critical
condition.  Guess what, no vets open and no one answered their pagers.
Murphy's Law at it's worst!  One of the pair died 15 minutes after coming
in the door, it's mate following 3 hours later, one of the singles died
just before we got home, and one is struggling to stay alive until
tommorrow am.  I will be with her all night.  Gloria is with her now.

Also, I have lucky with the Fervac-D until today.  Seems like on of the
staff here gave a ferret their distemper shot and had a severe reaction
happen 15 mins later.  She was lucky enough to get me on the cell phone
somewhere in Wyoming.  Vomiting, bloody stools , the works.  They were
freaking out in the shelter.  I talked them through it and that ferret it
now resting comfortably in the sick room with all symptoms gone.

Four adoptions today, tons of chaos, lots of tears, some relief.  At least
the shelter was clean and all the rest of the kids were fed and watered
and comfortable in the clean cages.  Tommorrow, necropsy time.  More heart
break.  More learning.

Hugs
Ferretguy